©2021 Reporters Post24. All Rights Reserved.
A good medium telephoto macro lens is one of the most versatile a photographer can have, useful not just for macro shots, but for sharp portraits, wedding ring shots, and much more. For Nikon mirrorless shooters, there is the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro, and this excellent video review takes a look at the kind of performance and image quality you can expect from it in practice.
Coming to you from Matt Irwin Photography, this great video review takes a look at the Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro lens. The 105mm f/2.8 Macro comes with a variety of useful features, including:
- 1:1 maximum magnification (minimum focusing distance of 11.4 inches)
- OLED information panel that displays aperture, focus distance, and depth of field
- Dual-Motor Multi-Focus STM system with manual focus override
- Nano Crystal coating and ARNEO antireflective coating for reduced flares and ghosting
- Three extra-low dispersion elements for reduced chromatic aberrations and increased clarity
- Aspherical lens element for reduced coma and distortion
- Fluorine coating for reduced dirt and smudges buildup
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for greater exposure stability
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm for smoother bokeh
- Vibration Reduction system with up to 4.5 stops of compensation
- Customizable control ring
- Customizable L-Fn button
- Focus limiter for faster focus
Altogether, the 105mm f/2.8 Macro looks like a very useful lens. Check out the video above for the full rundown from Irwin.
The lens features a minimum focusing distance of 11.4″ to suit working with close-up subjects, and a bright f/2.8 maximum aperture lets you confidently work in low-light conditions. A Dual-Motor Multi-Focus STM System with manual focus override provides fast and responsive autofocus, and this unique multi-focus system also reduces chromatic aberration and color fringing common among macro lenses. A VR image-stabilization system minimizes the appearance of camera shake by 4.5 stops for shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions, and an integrated OLED lens information panel allows you to quickly confirm aperture setting, focus distance, and depth of field figures right on the lens in both bright and dark situations. Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings prevent ghosting, flare, and reflections when working in brightly illuminated and backlit scenes, and a single aspherical lens element minimizes coma, distortion, and other types of lens aberrations when using wide aperture settings. Additionally, a fluorine coating prevents dirt, water, and smudges from sticking to the surface of the lens.
- Telephoto prime designed for FX-format Nikon Z-mount cameras, however, can also be used with DX models where it provides a 157.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Ideal for macro and portrait shooting, this lens offers a life-size 1:1 maximum magnification along with a minimum focusing distance of 11.4″ to suit working with close-up subjects.
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture suits working in a variety of lighting conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field for isolating subjects and using selective focus techniques.
- Integrated OLED lens information panel allows you to quickly confirm aperture setting, focus distance, and depth of field figures right on the lens in both bright and dark situations.
- Dual-Motor Multi-Focus STM System with manual focus override for fast and responsive autofocus. Multi-focus system also reduces chromatic aberration and color fringing common among macro lenses.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm creates beautifully artistic background blur and bokeh.
- NIKKOR VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake by 4.5 stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Customizable control ring for changing aperture, exposure compensation, and ISO.
- L-Fn button for customization and 11.4 to 19.7″ / 0.29 to 0.5m limiter switch for close focusing.
- Nano Crystal Coating eliminates internal lens element reflections and effectively reduces ghosting and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- ARNEO antireflective coating used in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coating further reduces ghosting and flare effects caused by incident light entering the lens vertically. Helpful for backlit scenes, this allows outstandingly clear capture of images even when a light source is located within the frame.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Aspherical lens element minimizes coma, distortion, and other types of lens aberrations when using wide aperture settings.
- Fluorine coating prevents dirt, water, and smudges from sticking to the surface of the lens.
- NIKKOR Lightweight design for easy and comfortable carrying.