©2021 Reporters Post24. All Rights Reserved.
IDC has released its quarterly analysis of the smartphone market in China, and the numbers are great for all major companies that are not named Huawei. According to the data, vivo has become the best-selling brand for Q2 2021, followed by Oppo, Xiaomi, Apple, and the now-independent Honor.
The overall market shrank on a yearly basis, mostly because of the hit Huawei has taken on its smartphone business. The former leader is now part of the “Others” group which sold half the units they did last year around.
|Company||Q2 2021 Sales
|Q2 2020 Sales
While the Top 4 companies all increased their volume of sales, Honor sold around half the units it did back in 2020, simply because there weren’t any new phones to sell – it had a total of five devices available for sale, while competitors like vivo, Oppo, or Xiaomi each had over 30 different choices for customers to choose from.
IDC China Research Manager Wang Xi has revealed innovation is no longer the driving force in the midrange and high-end business, and companies are now competing to provide a favorable brand image that users can relate to, instead of going into a product battle which company has the best software and hardware.
- Smartphone shipment growth in China turned positive in Q1 2021.
- Smartphone shipments grew 36% compared to last year’s COVID-impacted first quarter to register 90.7mn shipments.
- The quarter marked the inevitable succession of Huawei’s leadership, as the beleaguered handset maker struggled to maintain shipments.
- vivo and OPPO emerged as clear leaders, accounting for nearly half of all smartphones shipped during the period.
Q4 2020 Highlights
- China’s smartphone market declined 17% YoY in 2020.
- China’s 5G smartphone sales accounted for more than 60% of total smartphone sales in Q4 2020.
- Huawei and HONOR combined took the top spot in the market, capturing 41% share in 2020.
- Apple was the only brand to witness a positive YoY growth in the market in 2020.
|China Smartphone Shipments Market Share (%)|